How to heal your new tattoo
Updated: May 27, 2020
It seems as if every tattooist gives different healing instructions.
For us, we believe it really is more simple than that.
The body is designed to heal, so the LESS you do, the better!
CARE AND FEEDING OF YOUR NEW BODY A.R.T.:
There are really only 2 options for bandaging a breast or scar tattoo:
ABSORBANT BANDAGING or TAGADERM (clear thin film)
Absorbant Bandaging must come off within 24 hours
Wash thoroughly, but gently, in the Shower
Never apply moisture after a shower (hint: its already wet!)
Let it dry out mostly, no cream before day 3!
Only apply cream if it's dry or itchy.
THE LESS YOU DO, THE BETTER! LET YOUR BODY HEAL THE WAY IT WAS CREATED TO
TAGADERM, SANIDERM, TATUDERM, WHATEVER-DERM (clear film):
- This can stay on for 3-7 days uninterrupted!
- You can shower with it on
- It's waterproof, permeable and breathable!
- When ready, remove slowly by pulling 'away' (not 'back' like a bandaid)
- Watch for obvious signs of unhappiness, like localized redness, heat and swelling. If those are present, contact your artist immediately, don't delay!
In Either case, the only things that are known to cause problems healing are moisture and friction. Here's how:
* Friction obviously can create damage to a new wound in very little time.
* Don't let clothing stick to it and make sure clothing doesn't rub on it, even a little bit.
* Excess Moisture can harden and create a scab, or attract airborne bacteria to the area. If a scab is created, you have a higher chance of losing colour or even creating new scar tissue.
* Moisture from bathing, from overuse of product, or product applied directly after a shower can all cause slowing of your healing process.
* Be incredibly aware of how YOUR body heals, your environment and your clothing!
Keep your new tattoo dry and clean!
It is so important to be aware of your clothing choices. The best insurance policy for a new breast tattoo, in my experience, is to purchase a cheap foam/form bra that is a cup size or two too big. One that holds its shape while holding your shirt away from your skin. That little bit of breathing room under the too-big cup size will do wonders for allowing your skin room to breath and heal like it wants to
If you have any problems at all, do not ask your friends or your facebook groups. Reach out to the expert you chose to do the work, because we've seen it all and we know how our work heals! Plus, we want you to be incredibly happy so we are here for you!
(not to mention we want our work looking GOOD!!)